Sunday, March 20, 2011

weekend trip

My parents and I took off Friday afternoon for a quick trip to Greeneville, TN to see Mark, Candy, Lily, and the new little star Micaiah.  Of course we took Roscoe.  I doubted the dogs ability to properly babysit.  It was beautiful weather so they held fort outside.

As a new mother I'd love to think that my baby would cooperate the entire time.  I mean who wouldn't want a baby that would just sleep for the entire 3 hour car ride, peacefully wake up, patiently wait to eat, etc.....  Not so, Roscoe.  His screams can wake the dead when he's mad and hungry.  So, as we anticipated, we had to stop about 45 minutes away from Mark and Candy's so I could feed Roscoe.  Oh, for the day when we can say "No, son, we'll be there soon.  We'll eat when we get there."  (By the way, funny how 45 minutes to me now means "be there soon."  I can remember as a child when being 5 minutes away from the nearest Burger King felt like ETERNITY.)



So while I sat in the front seat and nursed Roscoe, Dad took the opportunity to take a nap on the tailgate in the sun.  (Insert here that my Dad is the most patient and easy-going man I know.  It is my goal get my temper-prone son to try to mimic his Papa.)

We arrived and there was no shortage of cuteness to pass around.  Here you have 2 newborns separated by 12 days, and a 23 month old little girl who is so cute you can hardly stand it.  Seriously, who needs TV?!  (I say that, but we all had laptops, ipods, and other forms of technology out almost the whole time.  Well, all of us but Candy.  She's the best at actually socializing and not focusing on technology when you're in a group of people.)


Here's a sweet picture of Lily playing with some hand-me-down dishes from cousins Liam and Gilly.  Lily loved her dishes.  She played with them the entire weekend.  The best was watching her with Nana and Papa.  They cooked all sorts of things together.

Something I discovered that made my day:  Roscoe loved Micaiah's bouncy seat!


Look at that goofy guy...  He would just kick and smile and look in the mirror and focus on the rattle.  The best part?  Candy said this is the cheapest WalMart bouncy seat.  Ha!  My child doesn't have expensive taste!  Yes!!!!!!!!!!!  By the way, Mom Grant, he's almost too big for the monkey outfit you bought him.  I think this is one of the last times he'll wear those little monkey feet pants. :(



He just cracks me up with his expressions.  And he looks like he's losing his hair!  He already looked like an old man, now he has a receding hairline.

A few more pictures from the trip:


Mom wanted a picture with both of the babies.  But it seemed one of them was always crying.  But babies don't always cooperate, so we decided to do it anyway, even though Roscoe wasn't pleasant at the time.



Love it.  Screaming Roscoe.  Chillin Micaiah.



A close up of the anger.  Work it, kid!



And sweet sleeping Micaiah.



Here's dad with Roscoe (L) and Micaiah (R).  It's hard to tell from this picture but Micaiah wasn't happy at all.







This picture was taken after Roscoe had been already been screaming for at least 20 minutes.  I decided to put him in the wrap and go walking around outside.  It took a few minutes, but it did work. 


I like this one of dad trying to comfort him :)



What a rough life babies have.  If only we understood.  Here I am trying to empathize.

It was definitely different taking a trip with a 5 week old.  I did make it out of the house with only 1 overnight bag, in addition to the diaper bag and my purse (of course).  For the first overnight trip I was quite proud of myself.  I guess it's easy though with a newborn since I didn't have to take any toys to entertain him.

I do regret not having gotten a picture of Candy and me with our babies.  Somehow that one got overlooked.  Guess that means they're going to have to come to SC to visit soon.  (Right, guys?)

No comments:

Post a Comment