Monday, March 21, 2011

if you'd just go to sleep

Poor baby, as I sit here in the living room my child cries in the next room fighting sleep.  He's sooooo sleepy.  For the past 3 days he's just been a little fussy butt.  There are times of happiness and smiles (gifts of grace from God to help during the fussy times), but then he realizes he's tired and the crying starts.  Sometimes the 5 Ss work, sometimes they don't.  Gas drops, colic calm, running the hairdryer or vacuum, taking him for a ride in the car or stroller.....whatever the remedy may be, sometimes it's just destined to be a matter of letting him exhaust himself.  This may be the reason he sleeps so well at night.  Night before last I had to wake him up to feed him.  I would've let him sleep, but, well.... I needed relief.  Any of you mothers who have ever nursed a baby know exactly the relief I'm talking about.

I've been given lots of advice, and for that I am extremely thankful.  But one of the best pieces of advice is "No matter what the books or people say, you know your baby.  Trust your instincts."  I think that's so helpful because, honestly, have you seen all the advice out there on parenting?!  For every piece of advice, there's another that directly contradicts it.  For example "Your baby needs love and care and attention.  When he cries, hold him."  vs  "Your baby can't control your life and schedule.  Let him cry it out.  He'll be fine."  So for me and Roscoe, do you think the first or second piece of advice works better?  The answer is yes. 

I don't believe I'm spoiling my child one bit by holding him.  In fact, I believe that if I don't cherish this time that I have to cuddle and love on my infant son, I will regret it when he's older.  Looking at it from the infant standpoint, he spent 24/7 in the womb the whole time he was developing.  No wonder he wants comfort now!!!  There was never a time when he DIDN'T have it then.  5 weeks past birth, and he's still trying to get used to life outside of a non-stop climate controlled, swaddled, never-get-hungry environment!  If my love and comfort can help him adjust to that, I've got plenty to give.

However, I do understand that if there are things that I have to do, or if I just need a break from the deafening screams, my child will live if he has to cry himself to sleep in the cradle.  I carried him for 9 months without the ability to put him down, and I remember multiple times when I thought Can I just lay you down for a minute while I do this?  Well, by the way God designed it, now I can.  So I'll take advantage of it.

Funny thing is how quickly he can change from this......


......to this


Little buddy, if you'd just go to sleep, you'd feel a lot better.

2 comments:

  1. you're awesome. i was amazed while watching you for three days straight at how you never "lost it" even during the long spells of crying. like sherri says, you are a "great mommy." i love you, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! Trust your mommy instincts. God gave you Roscoe for a reason! BTW...I ended up coming to the same conclusion that you did. I would hold my screaming baby and try to comfort her as much as I could, but sometimes she just had to cry on her own. We made it through and she turned out fine =) You are doing a good job!

    ReplyDelete