Friday, January 7, 2011

it's like having the strength of 10 men

One thing that you hear a lot about but can never fully understand until you experience it is nesting.  You hear of women doing drastic rearrangements to the house and such while their husbands are at work and your first thought is Why not just wait for him to get home to help you?  Is is that important?

Yes.  Yes it is.

That being said, here's my first over-the-top, couldn't-control-the-urge nesting story.

We have an antique organ that a friend gave to us that has been sitting in our living room.  However, the living room is too small for both that and the woodstove that we so desperately want to hook up.  Before Mark left last weekend, he was going to rearrange some things for us (consolidate books, get rid of the bookshelf, move the organ to its place, voila).  It didn't get done because the weekend was way too busy.  No big deal, thought I.  Someone in the family could come over and help things get moved around later in the week.

No.

It was Tuesday, and as I stood in the living room deciding what to do with my evening, the OVERWHELMING urge to get the organ OUT of the living room came over me.  Don't take it lightly when I say OVERWHELMING.  Before I even thought twice about it, I had all the books off the bookshelf and that space clear.  I took off the top piece of the organ and began sliding towels underneath the rest so it could slide easily on the hardwoods.  Success.  Organ in place.  This is the picture I sent to Mark (somehow I thought he'd be as excited as I was).


Reply from Mark: "how'd that get there?"

Now I can't say this popped my bubble, but for some reason I wasn't sensing any sort of excitement from his end. "I....uh... Moved it."  No response.

Later in the evening we were talking and he asked me (very kindly) to be careful not to end up in labor over something like this.  His next question sounded rhetorical, like he felt stupid for even asking it: "You didn't move the woodstove, did you?" ......... "Well......"



Come on, everybody, it was only 5 ft.

2 comments:

  1. Well I'm not going to waste my breath telling you to be careful because I know by now that you won't listen. (also because I know my mother-in-law would probably respond with some comment about me not having any room to talk). It looks nice!

    And yay for a Bean Blog! (That sounds like a drink that your brother would come up with.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I understand *totally* about nesting and moving things. I also understand *totally* about how good it feels to us when it's done. Now, years later, I understand the price my body paid (post hysterectomy for a fallen uterus that the dr said was in part due to over exerting already exerted muscles). I also understand the price my husband (at that time) paid - sometimes, my Dad would know what I was up to and would caution me about how it would feel to Dave, and *sometimes*, I would listen. If I had it to do over, I would be more careful.....

    ReplyDelete