Sunday, September 4, 2011

table rock

The hike Friday was beautiful.  It didn't feel too hot, and the humidity wasn't too high either.  So aside from the fact that I was more out of shape for this hike than any other, it was a great time.  Thankfully, on the way up Beka was telling me a story (Mark was way ahead), so I didn't have to worry about saying much back.  I didn't have the spare breath!



Aside from the very beginning and a few places towards the top, the entire hike looks like the picture to the right.  There are a lot of rocks acting as steps.  The trail to the top is a little over 3.5 miles.  For this mama whose daily exercise consists of lifting a baby, pictures like this are the reason my calf muscles are still cursing me today.

I snapped the picture below left because I love when you can see tree roots scatter out above ground.

Pictures don't do it justice, but below right is another example of the ascending terrain. 




















The comment was made that you realize how small you really are when you're looking out from the top of a mountain.








The battery for the camera died before I got a picture of the tree I really wanted (go figure!), but this can suffice.  The beginning of the changing of leaves.  To me it was more rewarding than ever for this to be one of the first trees to see changing colors, because it was towards the top of the mountain.  None at the bottom were like this.


So aside from the physical exertion that had us (excluding Mark the Machine) dying at the end, this was such a wonderful day.  And to be honest, even the pain involved was worth it.  Mark and I are already planning another trip in November, but this time with another couple, one of whom does not like hiking at all.  So he'll be tasked with staying back at the shelter preparing a grilled feast for us hikers upon our return.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun! This make me want to go on a hike. We'll have to do it sometime.

    ReplyDelete