Sunday, February 6, 2011

it flies in the face of what i've believed

So our church is starting a new series through the book of Malachi.  Last week was the intro, getting accustomed to the tone of the book.  God approaches a depressed and discouraged people with a truth about Him and His character.  And the response He anticipates is rebuttal.  He says "I have loved you.  But you say, 'how have you loved us?'"  You can see "but you say" repeated throughout the book.  God gives them a truth, and is not shocked with hearing "but...." as a response.

This week blew me away.  It's pretty natural and human to think that things happen according to your standing with God.  If I'm good and follow all his commands, He'll bless me.  If not, then my life will be marked by suffering and "bad things."  Right?  I mean, it makes sense, doesn't it?

The points from tonight's message in a nutshell: God's righteous anger and His covenantal love are NOT based on natural qualities, circumstantial events, or mood swings.

So.......... just because a person is flourishing or "blessed" does not mean that he is out from under the wrath of God.  At the same time, just because a person is experiencing difficult trials or suffering does not mean that he is out from under the love of God.  This is what I have been mulling over all night.  My mind doesn't want to work that way.

This quote sums it up well:

If my interpretation of God's love is filtered through my experiences or feelings regarding love, then I will conclude that God's love is fickle like mine.  But if my understanding of the love of God is grounded on His covenantal distinctions as manifested through the cross of Christ, then my experience of love is resistant to the constant fluctuation of my condition.  God's love did not emerge is a flash of favor, nor does it disappear in a period of disappointment.  His character and covenantal purposes do not change (Malachi 3:6).  Therefore, my relationship with Him is not fluctuating with my performance or passions.

I don't claim to be a good sermon reiterator (although I think I did just invent a word), but I'll repeat what I've already said, because this is what flies in the face of what I've believed all my life:

Just because a person is flourishing or "blessed" does not mean that he is out from under the wrath of God.  At the same time, just because a person is experiencing difficult trials or suffering does not mean that he is out from under the love of God.

So, "I am blessed because I have done _____________."  No, I'm sorry, but according to the book of Malachi, God doesn't operate that way.  Or how about "God is displeased with me and punishing me because I _____________."  No, his righteous anger isn't based on what you do, nor are you justified by it.

There's a lot to think about here, and I'm really looking forward to this series.  And if you're curious, yes, church was tonight.  I know it's Saturday.  But North Hills moves their Sunday evening service to Saturday the weekend of the Super Bowl to allow people the opportunity to still attend the evening service AND host a party on Sunday night.  The only problem with it?  Now I feel like tomorrow is Monday, and that throws me off for the whole week.

No comments:

Post a Comment