Wednesday, April 18, 2012

rewarding life changes

For me, it all started with my burning desire to hire a midwife to assist me in a natural birth.

Once I did that, I slowly started becoming more aware of the little areas in life where some changes could be made.

Cloth diapers, organic foods, cleaning supplies, body care/toiletries.

And let me tell you, these changes are some of the most rewarding tasks I've set out on.

Now everything I look at is through the filter of how can I take care of this without any chemicals, or rather how can I take care of this using only the things God made, not the things man tweaked.

The hardest BY FAR has been cleaning supplies.  I'm just now really getting in to that one.  But it's hard to come to grips with the fact that *Clean doesn't have to smell like something.  Clean smells like nothing.*  I love me some scented cleaning supplies.  But then I turn the bottle and look at the ingredients and see all sorts of warnings about skin contact and eye irritation and DO NOT, WHATEVER YOU DO, INGEST THIS, and I think wait a second.  If these things are dangerous to our bodies, why am I cleaning with them?  I know I can use lemon and lavender (etc) essential oils to give the house a "clean scent," but it's just hard to let go of that Clorox Green Works.

Anyway, bottom line is that I stand beside each of my decisions regarding the care of my house, family, and our bodies--convinced that they are the choices God has led me to, and that they are right.  That doesn't mean that I expect everyone to come to the same choices (though I would certainly love to see that kind of revolution).

Details later, maybe? 

But for now I am quite certain that given the chance, I could conquer the world with coconut oil and baking soda.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!! I love it too! Once I discovered how well baking soda and tea tree cleans the bathroom, my world changed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those discovery moments! I was talking with a group of friends last week and we confessed that some of our dreams don't consist of tons of money or possessions, but rather a fully stocked cabinet of endless essential oils. Ha!

    ReplyDelete